Pages

Is this really a Myth?

When you’re down in the dumps, think yourself happy by focusing on the positive

It is true that our thoughts affect our emotions/mood. However, how easy is it to control those thoughts? Many self-help gurus claim that mind control of emotions is really easy and that it’s all within our reach. Scientists and other mental health professionals have supported and challenged this belief. The purpose of this blog is to analyze the popular belief that “When you’re down in the dumps, think yourself happy by focusing on the positive,” or to be more precise, “When down, positive self-talk will lift you up.”

I am an undergraduate student at Seattle University. I am a psychology major. I enjoy reading books and long walks during the sunset. I am an Aquarius. This is a class assignment for my class called “Popular Myths about Human Behavior.” I highly suggest you take it too. I picked this topic because I couldn’t believe that “When down, positive self-talk will lift you up” could possibly be a myth. So all I ask of you is come explore my blog, make comments, and discuss how you feel about this topic.







































Thursday, June 10, 2010

The most important misunderstanding

Most Important Misunderstanding
The most important misunderstanding about this the myth “When down, think yourself happy by focusing on the positive” is that its easy to do and that when we are not able to do it something most be wrong with us. I hope after reading this blog that you realize that nothing is wrong with you if you are not able to change your mood with your thoughts. Changing your thoughts/emotions is not easy. Our quick fix society wants us to believe that anything we can’t do ourselves is our fault. This is the worse thing we can say to ourselves, especially when we are down. Therefore, I suggest being easier on yourself or anyone you know who tries to lift their mood by thinking positive thoughts.

If you’re interested in learning ways that have been proven to make other happier; I suggest reading about positive psychology. Its main focus is to make the individual happy through having them look at the positive things about their life or selves more. In my Read this, Not that section, I have also included an article on positive psychology. The article is very informal about this new field and the author’s also provide the readers with scientifically supportive ways to increase ones happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment